Saturday, 28 December 2013

Jingle all the way

Well Jinglers all the way actually. Like so many other people, I can only tie so many heavy bugs, bead heads and nymphs in general. I long for Spring and the new season, dreaming of floatilers of smartly attired upwings. To carry me along the winter months I tie up many dry flies that help me fantasise of the mild days ahead.

There appear to be two forms of the Jingler, one with a dubbed body imitating the march brown and another sporting a stripped quill body to represent the large dark olive. Living in the proverbial South I have no March Browns, that doesn't mean I can't use a Jingler, I just have to adjust it to suit my needs. I came across the Jingler via Matt Eastham's North country Angler blog on a post here and here.


It is a wispy fly, gangly almost. The hackle is long and sparse with a partridge collar. Peacock quill provides the body and the tail is cock hackle fibres the same colour as the hackle. I have used Nature's Spirit dyed peacock eyes, much cheaper than pre-stripped quills and I don't find them difficult to prepare; I either use a rubber eraser or I pull the quill between my finger and nail. You can find Nature's Spirit quills at Funky Fly tying here.


So for me the most useful versions of the Jingler would be a danica mayfly along with variations to emulate different species of olives. I have also tied up the original Jingler as this will also serve me well.

On the original Jingler the hackle and tail is red game, the body natural peacock quill with a grey partridge hackle finishing the fly off.



My mayfly variant is tied with a red game tail; a coachman brown tail would be much better, owing to the dark tails of the natural. I have used a bleached and dyed light Cahill quill for the abdomen. The yellow grizzle hackle and natural grey partridge should give a good impression of the wings and legs.




I have tied a much smaller fly as a general olive imitation. Olive dyed quill, with medium grey dun hackle and tail and a yellow dyed partridge hackle should give this fly a chance of working.




Although not a Jingler but a fly of similar design the Spring Olive spider dry by Davie McPhail is another fly worth looking at. This fly has a long hen hackle wound through the main hackle which is of standard length. You can see Davie tie the fly here.



3 comments:

  1. Nice Jingling Ben. Hope they do the business for you next season. A happy new year to you.......

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you George and Matt, just got to catch a trout on them now.

    ReplyDelete