Tuesday 1 September 2015

Sculpins

I have been wanting to get a fur coat for quite a long time, the reason, to tie up some bullhead/sculpin patterns; it is the most effective way to get a large quantity of fur on hide. I haven't fished with streamers for a few years but now I'm beginning to tie some up I can't wait to trow them out there among the monsters; of course the smaller ones eat them too.

A simple fly really, I have used a Daiichi 2546 salt water hook in size 4 with a double layer of medium lead wire superglued and flattened with pliers to create a wide but slim profile. The main body of the fly is a zonker strip cut from the hide - you can see the shape of the body in the pictures below - the lead is covered with dubbing to match the hide, with a small hot-spot of red to imitate the gills. The head is fur cut from the hide and spun in a dubbing loop or split thread as I have done. Trim the head and zonker body to shape. You can add some barring using a dark brown marker pen, brush the fur when the ink has dried.

Of course there are some elements missing - I don't have any eyes to attach to the fly and I haven't tied anything in for the pectoral fins - I doubt it will make much difference and maybe the next few will incorporate them.

Sculpins

IMG_2889

Sculpins

Sculpins

IMG_2889

Sculpin

Sculpins

My forum name isn't sculpincrusader for nothing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment